Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Sneetches, WoW style!

With the news of incoming faction changes, the only thing that I could think of was Dr. Seuss.

One of the earliest stories I remember reading is that of the Sneetches. The gist, for those of you that don’t know, is there are 2 kinds of Sneetches, those with stars on their stomachs and those without. The ones with stars look down on the ones without to create a separatist culture. A machine that adds stars becomes available and the story takes off from there. If you have never read or seen it, please take the time to do so. Seuss was a genius and much of his work will live forever.

I am still in awe at how Dr. Seuss was able to hit on timeless social issues and do so without children knowing they are being subjected to commentary.

At the end of the story, the Sneetches are all confused as to whether they started with stars of not, and learn a valuable lesson about judging those that are not like you.

Anyone else think that after changing factions, learning you may have liked your old faction more, then changing back, the only thing we will be left with is an empty wallet from the charge of faction changing and maybe the knowledge that there are elitist pigs that play for the Alliance, and some immature jack asses that play for the Horde?

Seriously, how different can the factions possibly at this stage in the game?

-Rhab

2 comments:

  1. The main reason I see for faction switching is:

    - to play with friends on the opposite faction
    - realizing you prefer the other side after putting in a lot of work in the current faction (this happened to me, though I won't be switching my mains due to friends I have Alliance side)
    - joining more progression oriented guilds that are on the wrong side on your server

    I don't think people will switch ONLY because of a misconception - I do think there are a ton of valid reasons to switch. If I didn't have so many friends Alliance side, I would move all 3 of my 80s with maxed out professions and lots of gold over, instead of having one Hode 80 with barely any money and no ability to enchant, make flasks, cut gems, etc. because I'm just *loving* the undead aesthetic.

    If only I'd known two years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may switch one of my toons after the change is made available. But only because the boy's soccer pal and family play Alliance side. And frankly, the kid's mom is HOT! Who doesn't love hot soccer moms that play WoW?

    OK...dont tell Mrs. Skraps that last part. hehe

    ReplyDelete