Wednesday, June 24, 2009

On Epic Phailure and Being a Kid Again

So I took the plunge and changed guilds. I only did so with Rhab because there is little opportunity to gear up 10 toons with raid gear. You have to focus on one, and the paladin has been my favorite since she was about level 40 and I got holy shield and could AoE grind my way to victory.

So last night I was trying to get into Blackwing Lair after soloing Onyxia because I decided that I really want my T2 set. It’s the most bad ass pally set in the game, and really sets you apart from the other classes. On my way to Blackrock Mountain, I got a tell from Devine asking my tanking stats and if I wanted to OT Ulduar.

I let him know my stats but that I had never been in there, and that I wasn’t really prepared for any raiding. I need a new headset; I needed to read up on Ulduar fights, hell I didn’t have any flasks. I had signed up to raid Naxx Thursday, and really was going to spend tonight getting all my shit together because last night I was dragging the better half to a midnight opening of Transformers.

All I can is that I should have declined. There is nothing quite so humbling as wiping on a boss 3 times in a row and knowing it is because of you. It became even worse when it is your first time with a new guild and you know they are probably evaluating you. I never come unprepared, even when I suck it up, and I am pretty sure that those all those fucking adds needed on Ignis was a taunt macro. EPIC PHAIL was the only word I can use to describe last night and I was pissed and disappointed that I didn’t have a better first time showing. As much as Ulduar could have ruined my night (though I’m still pretty disappointed in myself), there was little any amount of failure could take away from my excitement for the opening of Transformers.

Growing up, nothing compared to my Transformers. Friends of mine had GI Joe and He-Man toys and they would often be seen shooting them with their BB guns. I was always horrified at this. My Transformers weren’t even really played with. They sat on a shelf, would come down to be transformed, and then I would spend the next 2 hours setting up a diorama of the battle scene in my head. That would usually be seen on my shelf for about 2 weeks and then I would do it again. No one was allowed to touch them, my little brother is 7 years younger than me and the minute he graduated from the crib in my parent's room to my room that we shared until I left for A&M, he was given a quick lesson in how bubba would kick his ass if he touched the Transformers.

I remember the original animated Transformers movie being the first real movie that I wanted to go see in the theater, and like would be expected, I remember tearing up when Prime died. All of those feelings came back again last night. I was a little kid in the theater watching Transformers like it was the first movie I had ever seen. I won’t ruin anything for anyone who plans on seeing it, but Michael Bay spared no expense and it shows. It is a live action two and a half hour epic that could be any episode of the original series. Decepticons are after energy, the Autobots have to stop them, and conflict ensues. I have not seen an epic battle scene like the one in Revenge of the Fallen since Braveheart.

After my night in Ulduar, it felt good to be a kid again.

-Rhab

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to hear you liked transformers. All I have heard was negative reviews. I was so discouraged that I was going to skip seeing it in the theater. Now I guess I know what I am doing Friday night.

    I keep thinking back to the first movie, and the look my wife gave me, when Optimus was fighting the Construction Crane Deciptico, and Prime slid out the sword and decapitated him, and the whoa "The Boy", by best friend Peter and I let out (along with the rest of the theater).

    It was the classic "Really? I married this guy look, with a bit of "you're such a dork" sprinkled in.

    I hope this movie has that magic moment too.

    Skarap

    ReplyDelete