Thursday, June 11, 2009

ALLLLLLLLLLL ABBBOOAAARRRRDDDDD!!!

When 3.2 hits, there is going to be one really nice present for all the lowbies, and it’s a revamped mount system reducing costs and levels required to saddle up and travel around!

I have a secret, and it’s that I’m an alt whore. There is the druid and pally that both started as alts but have transitioned to my mains. There is the 76 lock, the 76 hunter, the 75 shaman, the 69 mage, the 67 (as of this morning) DK, the 66 rogue, and the 55 priest. The other part of that secret is that I just can’t play a warrior. I try and never really can get into it. My warrior is level 20, she’s a dorf chick like Rhab, but there is little chance that I will really actively level her. I don’t know why, but they just don’t seem that fun. Maybe that will change one day, but as it stands, it’s a class I just can’t appreciate playing.

Flying mounts will, undoubtedly, help in Outland, but because TBC was released as a much more refined product, it is really just a perk. If anyone has ever leveled an alliance player in Ashenvale, they can tell you that the quests are quirky and neurotic. Go to one side of the map then back to the town, then to the other side of the map, then travel all the way north along until you hit the cave then travel all the way back to a FP so you can hop back to the middle of the map. IT SUCKS ASS!

The flying around Outland is cool, but it’s not necessary. Anyone with half a brain can quest in Outland and do anywhere from 3 to 9 quests at a time. I had 8 this morning in Zangar that I turned in for the DK between the Cenarion Refuge and Telredor. The zones are set up perfectly and transitioning from one quest hub to the next feels seamless. Blizzard did even better in Northrend than they did in OL, as many of the quests that send you from one hub to the other often do so via a flightmaster. Kudos to Blizz, as I often rip them for being a team of fart smellers and hardly give them credit for the good job they do on a game I thoroughly enjoy.

Earlier ground mounts in the old world is GAME CHANGING. Gone will be the days where a player spends an hour walking from the Barrens to Tanaris for the first time. Best case scenario before you had your first mount, but now when you ding 40 you can fly down there on a speedy ground mount and start questing. No more walking for the alliance player who wishes to get a charity run through SFK all the way from IF through the Wetlands past Southshore and to the keep. The level 52-58 lull that I still seem to get caught in will be much easier as you ride up and down Felwood turning in the quests, collecting meat to level cooking, and ridding the world of corrupted Furbolg while snatching their feathers for rep with the hold.

Azeroth will be a better place for this change and Blizzard should be thanked a million times over.

/thank you

-Rhab

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you...mostly.

    I am sad by all the gold I have spent on my alts for riding skills. From the 100g on my Warrior, Rogue, Mage and pallys. The 500 on the shaman, hunter, warrior for epic riding (plus the 500 i fronted to the boy for his epic). The 1000 on warrior, shaman, hunter and finally the 5000 on both the hunter and shaman! That is a lot of gold!

    But I am super excited for all the future alts, and any new players coming along.

    ReplyDelete