Thursday, July 2, 2009

“We think talents probably account for too much of a character's power already.”

At the end of a shadow priest Q&A, GC closes with those words. It appears as though Blizzard is weary about raising the talent tree bar every time they release an expansion. It’s a fair concern. How many times do we feel we need the 51 point talent to do our job? Can someone say Hammer of the Righteous, Riptide, Haunt? The problem arises when the general philosophy of the community is they do need the 51 point talent and then Blizzard doesn’t deliver. Leveling a frost mage, I have completely ignored the 51 point talent (Deep Freeze) only because I have enough control over encounters. I will admit than when you look over at the other trees, frost mages have to feel cheated when they see Living Bomb and Arcane Barrage. When you enjoy playing frost, but know that you are cheating your groups at level 80 if you stay frost, it only adds insult to injury when your 51 point talent doesn’t do ANY damage.

I would have personally been happy with a 51 point talent that provider a better spell coefficient (over the 14.29%) of Ice Lance, or to allow ice lance to proc a deep freeze than even an entirely new spell. If the flat multiplier increase and a chance to stun, say 20%, ice lance becomes a lot more appealing, and doesn’t feel that OP since you aren’t using it all the time, and you aren’t getting the stun all the time either. Not a sexy solution, but at least it could boost damage for a frost mage.

I’m digressing now, but ultimately what does Blizzard expect? They set the general rule that each talent point should be worth 1% dps. They are the ones facing more levels and probably 10% more damage from talent points alone with every expansion. Sometimes I wonder if with all the changes to make leveling easier, if Blizz wishes they had maybe released vanilla WoW with 30-40 levels and then applied 5 with every expansion instead of the 60+10 format they are using now.

Numbers wouldn’t be so inflated and the old world wouldn’t be quite as abandon as it is now.

-Rhab

1 comment:

  1. I think I would like to see an expansion with 10 more levels, 10 more points, but leave the current trees intact. Give us those extra 10 points to fill in other trees. Although I really think that would make some classes a little too OP.

    Frankly i am not sure I want another 10 levels. I am tired of leveling my main, and all my alts. 10 levels x5 alts makes 50 levels, with only the first toon, maybe the second seeing new content.

    ReplyDelete